Asha Adiga haven achieved a great level of experience and expertise in Bharatanatyam dancing and Carnatic music; Asha has done incredible dancing and music performances. She believes that ‘’art is our way of life’’ and she has never relented in living up to this expectation.
Asha has been in Bharatanatyam dancing and Carnatic music performance for over 30 years now. The special ability of this Diva’s talent comes from her ability to integrate the physical, emotional, intellectual and spiritual dimensions of the human cultural heritage.
Asha preserves and illuminates the Indian culture; spreading the art amongst people of different ethnicities of the world.
With her vision to promote, enhance and advance the artistic traditional music, Asha moved forward to founding the Asha Acharya Performing Arts Academy Inc in Illinois, USA. This prestigious institution currently boosts of over 200 students and its founder (Asha) is also the artistic director of Nupura Geetha Inc, a Nonprofit Organization for Arts and Culture in Illinois, USA.
Asha Adiga has been adorned with uncountable awards, educational ranks, original dance drama productions, music compositions, training sections and she is a member of the popular International Dance Council CID-UNESCO and also SAMPADA, which is a body of University Silicon Andhra which is an affiliation with Potti Sreeramulu Telugu University (PSTU), a NAAC accredited institution.
Adiga is a music and dance spirit; her passion to impact lives has taken her thus far. For better documentation, keep a keen memory as we further elaborate on the achievements cum dispositions of Vidushi Asha Adiga.
Asha’s guru’s and Artistic background
Asha was introduced and encouraged to the art forms at a very young age, by her parents Smt. Srimathi Adiga and Late Shri Chandrashekhara Adiga who themselves were very much involved in a cultural, religious and social service organization, along with her elder sister Usha.
Asha received her formal Bharathanatyam dance training form Vidhwan Raja Gopala Bhagavath and Vidushi Poornima Bhagavath in “Kalakshetra”dance style from many years and she completed her “Vidhwat” level with their guidance. (Guru Bhagavath couple took dance training from Vid. Janardhan, who was trained by renowned Guru Prof. M.R. Krishnamurthy who in turn received a disciplined training under guru legendary Rukmini Devi Arundale Kalakshetra India.)
She also got Bharathanatyam training from Guru Shubha Dhananjaya (Shubha Narasimayya) and Hanumanthraj in her very young age and earlier dance career.
Asha received her Carnatic classical music training from guru Vidhwan Raja Gopal Bhagavath for many years and also took training in this area with several gurus. She also won many prizes at state and national level singing competitions. She has given many Carnatic classical music and light music performances in the USA as well as in India.
Asha proved versatility by performing and leaning
- Kuchupudi: Learnt from Guru Dr. Raju from Thirupathi India.
- Yoga: Flexibility is one of the principal aspects of her dancing career and she learned from guru K.V Shenoy India.
- Yakkshagana: Learnt from guru Hemmadi Ramachandra Bhat, India.
- Kathak: Learnt from Guru Ramakrishna Bhat, India.
- She also learned few dance numbers in Odissi and Manipuri – from Mrs. Rimli Roy, New Jersey.
- Indian Folk dance: Such as Dandiya, Raas, Garba, Kansale, Kolatam, Kummi, Kuruvanji, Jhumur Nach, Lavani, etc..
- THEATRE: Asha first came to limelight through ‘’Bhumika’’ drama and organization from Vanitha Samaja Davanagere, India and to further her quest, she attended theatre classes in the College of Dupage Illinois, USA.
Asha’s Education summarization
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) in Finance, Kuvempu University Karnataka. India.
- Bachelors in Commerce, Commerce (B com) from A.V.K College Davanagere, India
- Dance Proficiency Grade Examination/ Honorary Vidushi title from Karnataka Higher Education Board, Government of Karnataka department of public instruction, India.
- Music Proficiency Grade Examination Karanataka, India.
(Karnataka Secondary Education Examination Board)
- Drawing Grade Examination, Karnataka India(Karnataka Secondary Education Examination Board)
- Theatre classes at College of DuPage Glen Ellyn, IL
Asha Adiga has taken Bharatanatyam dancing to another level. She has also explored the full potentials of Carnatic music and this young woman is a flag bearer of this unique Indian art and culture. Her efforts have been fully appreciated as the arts got her where she is today.
This artistic brilliance has unarguably put a smile in many faces. In her words ‘’Art is our way of life; it is a god and I treat art as such’’.Asha Adiga offers us a one-end-solution to all the Bharatanatyam dancing and Carnatic music needs.
Art is our way of life, it is a god and we should devote time to it (Asha Adiga, 2006).